Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spring at Last. Really.

White trillium bud
After breaking my heart numerous times, spring has finally arrived here in central Ohio. Despite 20 mph winds this morning I had a terrific walk at Highbanks Metro Park. Among the highlights: I saw what may have been a red-headed woodpecker and the first bluebird I've ever seen. Yes, I've lived in Ohio for (zzz-zz-zz sorry, static on my Web connection) years and just saw my first bluebird. Also saw some very handsome brown-headed cowbirds. Cowbirds are not particularly pleasant birds; they lay their eggs in other birds' nests and let the unwitting foster parents raise their young. But the males are really striking in the sun, a glossy iridescent black with a rich brown head.

Dutchman's breeches
Enough birds. Spring is for wildflowers, and lots of  'em. The best part of spring for me is seeing the floor of the woods bloom. The first flowers I spotted this morning are some of my favorites--dutchman's breeches (Dicentra cucullaria). These jaunty little pantaloons are a wild relative of the bleeding heart in your garden. They always make me smile...they really look like a row of puffy little pants on a clothesline.

Mayapple sprout
The mayapples (Podophyllum pelatum) are also beginning to open, though not blooming yet. In another week or so they'll spread their umbrellas across the understory, but this week I caught a very new sprout, still a tightly closed bumbershoot.

Yellow trout lily
Trout lilies are also in bloom. Highbanks has both yellow (Erythronium americanum) and white (Erythronium albidum) varieties. The flowers are fairly large, but surprisingly hard to see since they curve downward. They're bright yellow or white underneath but mostly reddish-brown on top. The name "trout lily" supposedly refers to the mottled leaves, which resemble the mottled markings of trout. The plant is also called "adder's tongue."

White trillium

The large white trillium (Trillium grandiflorum) is Ohio's state wildflower. It is also known as wake robin and snow trillium, although there is another, smaller species, Trillium nirvale, which is also called snow trillium.

Toadshade
The dark red trillium with the mottled leaves is toadshade (Trillium sessile), also called little sweet Betsy and whippoorwill flower. This is one of two very dark red trilliums with mottled leaves. The other, Trillium cuneatum, is much larger, a foot or more tall, and is not found in this area of Ohio.

Bloodroot
One of my favorite wildflowers, bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) is more remarkable for its leaves than its small white flowers. With anywhere from three to nine lobes, the oddly-shaped leaves stand out along the paths. When I look at the one shown here, I think of...the bat signal. Too many comic books as a child! Bloodroot is a medicinal herb that has been used, among other things, as an antiseptic. I make no recommendations, but for those interested in herbal remedies, please don't gather wild bloodroot. It can be cultivated to help preserve the wild stock.

I'm hoping to get to walk often for the next few weeks to catch the wildflowers as they come into bloom. Some other favorites, Jacks-in-the-pulpit, should be out shortly. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment